Over the past several years, the NRSP-8 Bioinformatics Coordination Program
has assembled hardware and software resources to help meet the needs of the
animal genome community for free.
Currently, we have four computer servers; each is designed to meet specific
needs of the community:
- A dual 8 Core RedHat Linux 7 Server, in service since 2016.
This server will be dedicated for developing/hosting web sites, databases
and online database tools, data repository, and custom community services.
- A quad core Xeon RedHat Linux 5 Server, in service since 2009.
This server is dedicated for hosting web sites, databases and a number
of web interfaced bioinformatics tools, and community services.
- A quad core Xeon Microsoft 2008 Server, in service since 2008.
This server is dedicated to Windows-only applications.
- An CentOS Linux storage server, in service since 2007.
This 36 TB storage server is dedicated to store data.
- A dual processor Linux server, in service since 2004.
This server used to be dedicated to host NAGRP web sites, relational
databases, user forum bulletin boards and mailing lists; Now it's undergoing
an upgrade to tranform into a user development platform.
All these servers are physically located at Iowa State University and connected
with high-speed optical fiber to internet and Internet II, so that they are
readily accessible to the NRSP-8 members as well as the international research
community, by http
Available services include but not limited to:
- virtual machine: site hosting
- web hosting
- database hosting
- shared materials hosting (accessible via ftp/web)
- public/private data repository
- other services
We also have experience with
- design and deployment of databases
- design and setup of web sites
- bioinformatic strategies managing laboratory data
- structural genome data mining
Given that the vast array of research interests of NRSP-8 members, we
welcome suggestion / discussions on how we can work together to better meet
the needs of the NRSP-8 community.
NRSP-8 members are encouraged to send requests for utilization of the
resources we have in place to:
Dept. of Animal Science
Iowa State University Tel: 515-294-9269
2255 Kildee Hall Fax: 515-294-2401
Ames, IA 50011 E-mail: jre...@iastate.edu
For a list of software and functions we have already deployed, and items planned for the near future on these computer servers, see this link
User account access may be given to individual labs for developing / maintaining
your database / web sites, or for running your computational jobs. The
user account policies
should be observed where