Archived Post

From claire.wadesydney.edu.au  Thu Mar 29 23:13:49 2012
From: Claire Wade <claire.wadesydney.edu.au>
Subject: RE: sheep HD SNP array and MHC typing
Postmaster: Processed by the Listmaster
To: Multiple Recipients of <sheepmodelsanimalgenome.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:13:49 -0500

Hi Jennifer, Im not sure that the math adds up below. 5X should be about 15Gb
of mappable data. Often the sequencing produces some level of sludge that
cannot be aligned with the reference. With Illumina HiSeq we can currently do
5X for $1800 and this includes the library preparation. The quote that they
have given you probably excludes the library prep and for us to get this
commercially is worth about $500 per animal (although you can do it yourself
for considerably less). Really in sequencing it is the library prep and
bioinformatics that will remain the cost limiting factors in our experience.

Best wishes,
Claire

Claire Wade | Professor, Chair of Computational Biology and Animal Genomics
Veterinary Science
University of Sydney

RMC Gunn B19-504
Regimental Cres
University of Sydney NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA

claire.wadesydney.edu.au | e
+61 2 9351 8097                            |v
+61 2 9351 3957                            |f