Archived Post

From jillian.maddoxalumni.unimelb.edu.au  Wed Mar 28 00:12:54 2012
From: Jill Maddox <jillian.maddoxalumni.unimelb.edu.au>
To: Multiple Recipients of <SheepModelsanimalgenome.org>
Subject: Dietary/metabolic genes
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:12:54 -0500

This is a reposting of a message by Jess Hughes that was posted before the
SheepModels discussion group was activated properly. Please reply to "Jess
Hughes" or the newsgroup rather than to me.

.From: "Jess Hughes" <ecoimpactaol.com>
.To: Multiple Recipients of <SheepModelsanimalgenome.org>
.Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:22:56 -0500

Hi everyone,

First post here.

I'm a Bachelor of Agriculture & Land Management student with Northern
Melbourne Institute of TAFE and developing a project proposal for a third
year thesis looking at NMIT's flock of ewes.

The ewes are First cross Border Liecester crossbred (x) Merino and are
going to be pregnancy scanned next week and likely to be separated into
ewes carrying singles, twins (or multiples) and dry (barren) animals. If I
gain approval for my project, in the weeks following, I'm considering
extracting blood from each ewe (<200) with assistance from fellow students
with on-site testing glucose and D-beta-hydroxybutyrate levels using
handheld human diabetic glucometers. The data will be recorded against each
ewes National Livestock Identification System tag number. Excess blood will
be used to conduct DNA finger printing back at campus for all the ewes to
match up related animals (i.e. mothers and daughter/s). I imagine I would
need to DNA fingerprint the paternal linkage (ram) to decipher the male and
female fingerprint or has the system got around this?

I am curious to hear your thoughts on potential difficulties in the DNA
matching and any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated with full
credit given if used within my thesis.

In addition, I was interested in looking at DNA analysis with a dietary
gene as an association study to see whether any correlation existed in
regards to inheritance of pregnancy toxaemia in ewes, although uncertain
what dietary/metabolic gene to look for or if one had yet been found. Of
course there are issues of recessive or dominant alleles associated with
this.

Regards,

Jesse Hughes

Melton,
Victoria,

Jill Maddox
16 Park Square
Port Melbourne, 3207
Australia
phone: 03 9646 0428
E-mail: jillian.maddoxalumni.unimelb.edu.au

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program for Applied Bioinformatics.
Contact: Bioinformatics Team
Helpdesk