Archived Post

From zhuiastate.edu  Wed Feb  1 10:23:59 2017
From: "Hu, Zhiliang [AN S]" <zhuiastate.edu>
CC: "Hu, Zhiliang [AN S]" <zhuiastate.edu>
Subject: Re: Limited representation of OMIA causative mutations for cattle in
 SNP databases
user-agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/f.16.0.160506
authentication-results: spf=none (sender IP is )
 smtp.mailfrom=zhuiastate.edu;
x-originating-ip: [2602:306:cc77:b090:140:43f7:6056:4d72]
x-ms-office365-filtering-correlation-id: c341758e-e322-4dbe-0a4c-08d44abeb7a5
x-microsoft-antispam: UriScan:;BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(22001);SRVR:SN1PR04MB1902;
received-spf: None (protection.outlook.com: iastate.edu does not designate
 permitted sender hosts)
spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
To: OMIA-Supporters <omia-supportanimalgenome.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 10:23:59 -0600

I see several immediate issues with regard to entering data to a database:
there are needs to convince journal editors to set pre-requests; there might
be confusions as to which database certain to deposit to (e.g. someone discover
a new mutation that+IBk-s associated with a defect +IBM- dbSNP takes the mutation but
not the phenotype variation; and OMIA takes the phenotype variation but not
ultimate place for sequence mutations); there are confidentiality concerns
pre-publication; there are database requirements to accept data submissions;
... aomg others.  Many issues are not isolated to one database. Sometimes they
are interlocked.

Do you think it could be a good idea that we, as a community voice, should
develop a letter type paper to describe the needs, outline a general road
map, and suggest guidelines for animal genomics related data deposition?

Zhiliang