Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Tue Jan 31 15:15:39 2017
From: Carrie Finno <cjfinnogmail.com>
Subject: Re: Limited representation of OMIA causative mutations for cattle in SNP databases
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: OMIA-Supporters <omia-supportanimalgenome.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:15:39 -0600

Dear group,

I agree that this is problematic that these variants are not being uploaded
to open-access databases. Unfortunately, I think that this will only solved
once journals *require* the upload prior to publication. This is the way
that next-gen sequence data is getting uploaded to SRA now...you cannot
even submit a paper unless you have already uploaded your data to NCBI
SRA.  So, although uploading to SRA is quick a time-consuming task (as is
dbSNP), it will get done in order to submit a manuscript.

So, perhaps we need to rally to encourage journal editors to require any
new putative functional variants are uploaded to dbSNP in the same manner?

I look forward to further discussion.

Best,
Carrie

Carrie Finno, DVM, PhD
Diplomate, ACVIM
Assistant Professor, Veterinary Genetics
University of California-Davis
280 Vet Med II
One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
(530)-752-2739

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Frank Nicholas wrote:

> Dear OMIA colleagues,
>                 The following correspondence is self-explanatory.
>                 I look forward to some fruitful discussion and,
> ultimately, to resolving the problem.
>                 Regards
>                 Frank

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team