Archived Post

From frank.nicholassydney.edu.au  Fri Jan 10 23:11:10 2014
From: Frank Nicholas <frank.nicholassydney.edu.au>
To: Multiple Recipients of <omia-supportanimalgenome.org>
Subject: AFRI Foundational RFA Released: opportunity for an OMIA project?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:11:10 -0600

Dear members of the OMIA Support Group

	I realise that many of you will now be at PAG. Unfortunately I am not
able to join you this year. I am sure it will be a successful (and enjoyable)
meeting.

	The reason for this message is to ask whether you think it would be
feasible to consider an AFRI grant application to enhance OMIA, within the
Tools and Resources heading below.

	In addition to the ever-growing list of minor enhancements to be done,
there are two obvious major enhancements:

1. to provide details (and analyses) of all known mutations associated with
   Mendelian traits (especially disorders), along the lines of (and compatible
   with) the Human Gene Mutation Database (HGMD): http://www.hgmd.org/
2. to map OMIA traits to the most appropriate trait ontologies (building on
   the ontology work of Zhiliang and others within NAGRP Bioinformatics)

	Two full-time postdocs could be fully occupied with these two major
tasks (one for each) and with the minor enhancements.

	Given the source of funding, it would be best (maybe even essential?)
for the positions to be based in the USA. Indeed, this would be a desirable
indication of the internationality of OMIA. I imagine it would require one or
more Americans to be leads on the grant, but I would be willing to do much of
the background preparation and writing.

	Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated

	Regards
	Frank