CRI-MAP Users Forum Posted mail
From jlittrellmcw.edu  Wed Mar 23 11:52:20 2016
From: "Littrell, John" <jlittrellmcw.edu>
To: Multiple Recipients of Cri-Map Users <crimap-usersanimalgenome.org>
Subject: memory usage
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 11:52:20 -0500

Hi all,

When I run build (crimap2.507) on linux, it barely uses any memory on my
machine - top reports 0.1 for %MEM.  Right now we are testing using 60+
nuclear families with 600+ total animals.  The low memory usage persists
whether I use dozens, hundreds, or thousands of markers (SNPs).  As a side
note, running fixed with the same dataset uses at least 6.0 %MEM.  I have set
nb_our_alloc to 20Gb (20000000000) in the .par file, and
MAX_PRODUCT_CACHE_MEMORY to 20Gb (20000000000LL) in the defs.h file before
compiling.  I did not set any of the other parameters in the defs.h file
because I don't really understand what they do.  My rig has 96Gb of memory and
6 cores. Just wondering if this is to be expected or would you recommend
changing any of the settings in defs.h or something else?

Thank you.

Jack Littrell

Computer Dork III

Medical College of Wisconsin?

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team