CRI-MAP Users Forum Posted mail
From jillian.maddoxalumni.unimelb.edu.au  Thu Apr  4 18:28:58 2013
From: Jill Maddox <jillian.maddoxalumni.unimelb.edu.au>
To: Multiple Recipients of <crimap-usersanimalgenome.org>
Subject: RE: General questions of using crimap
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 18:28:58 -0500

Hi Gang and other CRI-MAP users

There was a parallel version of CRI-MAP that used PVM (crimap-pvm) but this
method is no longer widely used and that version of CRI-MAP hasn't had all
the memory fixes etc that the current version has so won't run with large
data sets. We had planned to parallelize CRI-MAP (OpenMPI) after we have
the new map function working and fixing up some other bits as this was a
more efficient use of our resources than doing things the other way round.
However, the fixing of other bits has turned out to be more complex than
expected and is taking longer. In the meantime the funding for this work
has run out so the parallelisation is looking less likely unless someone
wants to volunteer to do it or to provide some funds. Please let us know if
anyone wants to do the parallelisation (we would need to coordinate which
version of code gets used for the changes as the source code we are working
on has a number of differences to the versions that are publicly available)
or provide some funds for us to do it.

I believe that you (Gang) said that you had only 300 animals in your
pedigree and you have 50,000 SNPs. This number of informative meioses is
not a sufficient number to build a high density linkage map de novo
especially given you are using SNPs. If you already have a known marker
order then you could check the order with CRI-MAP or other linkage mapping
programs or you could investigate using phasing software (need markers to
be ordered for this).

Best wishes from

Jill
At 01:49 AM 5/04/2013, Li, Gang wrote:

>Hi Jill:
>      Thank you very much.   This problem have been resolved.
>      Because my data is a big matrix, more than 50,000 markers. It is still
>take long time to run twopoint calculation.  I notice only one
>thread is using
>for crimap running. Do you have any suggestion to run crimap
>applying multiple
>thread?
>      I appreciate your help.
>Best regards,
>Gang

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team