AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Sat Oct 24 13:13:54 2020
From: NAVARRO Pau <Pau.Navarroed.ac.uk>
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Subject: Gauging interest in DNA methylation arrays for use in
       livestock
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 13:13:54 -0500

Hi All,

The number of published studies looking at DNA methylation in the context
of health, production and responses to environment in livestock and other
animals is steadily increasing.

Studies so far have mainly looked at global measures of DNA methylation or
used sequencing technologies, and sample sizes used  are limited.

I would like to have good quality (with good coverage across genomic
annotations) and affordable tools to be able to perform larger population-
based studies, of the sort and scale that have been performed in humans for
farm animals.

These have been enabled by existence of DNA methylation arrays that are
affordable (and a fraction of the price of sequencing-based measures).   I
have been discussing the development of DNA methylation  arrays for
species other than human and mouse with a commercial company, and it would
be interesting to bring into these discussions a measure of what the
interest would be in the community if such arrays were available and
affordable (and around 1/3 of the price than other technologies like RRBS).

To that aim, I have set up a very brief survey that I would be very
grateful if you could take (it should only take a minute to complete). I
thought that it would be a more efficient way to get a good summary than
email correspondence. Ideally, I would need responses between now and
Wednesday, but will leave the survey open for longer and will circulate a
summary (anonymised, if there is identifiable information) in a couple of
weeks to this list.

The survey is completely anonymous, but you will have the opportunity to
leave your email address if you want to be kept informed of any potential
developments or would like to engage in a collaboration. The survey is
pasted below so you can see what the questions are, but in order to complete
it you should use any of the 2 links below.

In order to submit the survey, the only 2 required fields are ‘Species’
and ‘Potential number of samples’. Responses to all other questions are
optional.
https://forms.gle/hutfqYBKzcK67Qvi7
https://tinyurl.com/yyphpvod

Just for clarity, I have no affiliation with any commercial company or plan
to make any other use of the survey than understanding if, like me, there are
others that would use this kind of product if it was available.

Many thanks,

Pau

Pau Navarro
MRC Human Genetics Unit, MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine
University of Edinburgh
Western General Hospital
Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
mailto:Pau.Navarroed.ac.uk
            during your working hours **

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program for Applied Bioinformatics.
Contact: Bioinformatics Team
Helpdesk