AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Tue Sep  1 10:39:07 2020
From: bob.welperurus.org
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Subject: Job position available: Sr. VP Research &
       Development
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 10:39:08 -0500

URUS has an opening for a PEAK Sr. VP of Research & Development.
Job announcement is attached.  Please contact me at bob.welperurus.org if
interested in this position.

Bob Welper

-------------------------------
PEAK Sr. VP Research & Development Job Description

About the Company

PEAK is the source of superior genetics to the URUS brands and the world. PEAK
develops and produces elite bovine genetics and industry-leading reproductive
products through genetic programs, production, and research and development.
PEAK people are in multiple countries and locations and have an extensive
level of expertise, including genetics, operations, research, and data
management.

PEAK is a part of URUS Group LP. As a holding company with cooperative and
private ownership, URUS is a family of businesses at the heart of the dairy
and beef industry – Alta Genetics, GENEX, Jetstream Genetics, PEAK, SCCL and
VAS. Each of these organizations has its own unique identity, products, and
services. These companies work globally to provide cutting-edge dairy and beef
genetics, customized reproductive services to maximize conceptions, dairy
management information to take producers to the frontline of progressive dairy
farming, and an array of products and services to help bovines reach their
full genetic potential. URUS Group has 25 operating companies in 14 countries,
$400 million turnover, and employs approximately 2,000 people.

The Opportunity

The PEAK Sr. VP Research & Development will lead the PEAK genetic and
reproductive research program and support other PEAK R&D initiatives. The
successful candidate will be a thought leader in the bovine ecosystem. This
individual will have expertise in one or more of the following fields: dairy
and beef genetics, dairy and beef semen production, advanced reproductive
technologies, fertility evaluation systems, and development of selection
traits and breeding goals. The individual in this position will also be
responsible for managing all PEAK R&D activities and staff associated with
developing innovative genetic products, programs, and services. The PEAK R&D
team is also responsible for technical support to the PEAK and URUS teams and
PEAK partners.

This position is an integral member of the PEAK leadership team and will be
highly visible with strong decision-making authority. Success in this position
will come from ability to lead, inspire and collaborate with the PEAK team,
PEAK clients, URUS company leadership teams, industry and academic thought
leaders, and direct reports.

Primary Responsibilities

• Oversight and development of PEAK’s genetic and reproductive research
  programs
• Develop new or improve current genetic and reproductive evaluation systems
• Lead further development of selection indexes for URUS AI companies and PEAK
  clients
• Proactively seek continuous improvement and innovation of products and work
  processes
• Motivate, coach, and manage research scientists
• Provide technical support to the PEAK team and PEAK clients
• Identify and analyze dairy and beef industry market trends and customer
  demands and translate them into innovation for PEAK or URUS companies
• Maintain and expand relationships with the PEAK and URUS teams, PEAK
  partners and clients, and academia to ensure the competitive position of PEAK
• Prepare and manage department budget, optimizing innovation and
technological
  advancements
• Prepare and execute annual business plan
• Display strong vision to seek new business approaches and opportunities
• Engage in networking opportunities, such as industry and academic
conferences
  and committees

Organization Alignment & Position Location

The position will report to the PEAK CEO

• The position manages a growing team of 5 people located throughout the USA
• Strong preference for the position location to be in the URUS headquarters
  in Madison, WI near the PEAK and URUS leadership teams
• The position will require some global travel

Candidate Profile

Knowledge & Experience

• Passion for research in the dairy and beef industry
• 5+ years of managerial experience leading highly technical professionals
• High level technical knowledge and interest in dairy cattle reproduction,
  specifically male reproduction and genetic programs

Skills & Competencies

• Excellent oral and written communication skills across a diverse audience
  from highly technical to producer level
• Presents ideas in meaningful ways that simplify technical concepts
• A strong team player that can lead, energize, and motivate a team and
  delegate and empower teammates
• Entrepreneurial thinker that links science to the business needs
• Ability to multi-task and set priorities
• Resourcefulness to accomplish tasks
• Exceptional time management skills
• Strong statistical skills and proficiency in software related to animal
  breeding and genomics
• Able to write a business plan, develop a budget, and execute
• Driven to challenge conventional ways of product development to create
  sustainable genetic and reproductive programs, products, and services for
  the future of PEAK

Education

• PhD or MSc in Animal Breeding, genetics, reproductive biology or a related
  discipline

Company Culture Alignment

• Trust – We choose to be vulnerable, speak up, and dare to be wrong
• Transparency – We choose to be open and share
• Empowerment – We choose to encourage people to own their decisions
• Challenge – We choose to question and be questioned for better performance
• Accountability – We choose to follow through and hold each other to that
  standard
• Act – We choose to execute our plans when we’re confident they will work
• Results – We choose results over comfort and popularity

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team