AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Wed Jan 15 13:41:26 2020
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Tomas_Klingstr=F6m?= <tomas.klingstromslu.se>
Subject: Re: DNA extraction from cattle hair for WGS
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 13:41:26 -0600

Hello Laura

We've been doing some work on the general characteristics of DNA
fragmentation and for degradation after DNA extraction the three simple
things to test is to add a chelating agent, use EDTA + ethanol (never only
EDTA) and check the pH of the storage buffer (even if the last seems
unlikely given the time frame).

We are revising the structure of the paper but the full preprint may be of
help when checking what may be going wrong in your stabilisation of the
sample: https://www.biorxiv.org/...0.1101/254276v3.full

If you have a copy of the protocol you are using or a link to the kit
instructions you are following it would be very appreciated as I am curious
about the issue.

Best regards
Tomas Klingstrm, PhD
Coordinator of Gigacow
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet

SLU Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics.
Mobile: +46 73-720 31 54
tomas.klingstromslu.se, http://www.slu.se