AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Wed Jan  8 21:30:58 2020
From: Malachy Campbell <campbell.malachygmail.com>
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Subject: Post-doctoral position - Genetic Variation of Oat
       Seed Metabolome (Cornell University)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 21:30:58 -0600

The position is in the Plant Breeding and Genetics Section at Cornell
University, and is part of a USDA Agriculture and Food Research Initiative
grant to breed more nutritious oat. Oat is uniquely valued among grain
crops for the health-promoting composition of its seeds. The project
leverages extensive genomic, transcriptomic, and metabolomic datasets
collected in oat to understand its seed metabolome and provide breeders
effective tools to change it.

The Plant Breeding & Genetics Section, within the School of Integrative
Plant Science, trains interdisciplinary scientists in the elaboration of
new breeding methods, the discovery of genetic mechanisms important for
economically important traits, and the creation of genetic stocks,
germplasm, and varieties. We promote a collaborative and interactive
workspace to improve learning, cross connectivity, and mutual support
between basic and applied researchers. Cornell University plant breeders
are world leaders in innovative plant breeding research, teaching, and
extension, and we collaborate globally.

The Jannink lab works with several crop species (wheat, oat, barley,
cassava, and the brown algae sugar kelp) to develop genomic prediction
methods and integrate them optimally into breeding schemes. We work
together to discover, build on, and share new ideas and tools from across
computational disciplines that lead to successful applied breeding
outcomes. With the Jannink lab, Dr. Michael Gore and Dr. Mark Sorrells
provide leadership on the multiomic oat selection project.

In research for this project, the postdoc will collaborate with oat
breeders at Universities in Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota, as well
as a postdoctoral associate currently working on the project. We have
characterized an oat diversity panel of 384 genotypes with high-density DNA
marker data, RNA-seq gene expression data, and non-targeted LC-MS, GC-MS,
and targeted fatty acid methyl ester data of mature oat seed. We will
analyze these data to identify important genomic drivers of the mature oat
seed metabolome. We will test whether results from this analysis can
improve prediction accuracy in a series of 18 biparental crosses. We will
also sequence a population of 1,500 oat TILLING (Targeted Induced Local
Lesions In Genomes) lines at putative causal loci to determine if their
metabolomes are indeed affected.

We seek a candidate with metabolomics expertise and interest in systems
biology analysis methods. This expertise will be put to use in two ways.
The postdoc will interpret findings from linear models fit to the output of
metabolomic assays by leveraging knowledge of biochemical pathways
important during seed maturation and connecting this knowledge to gene
expression data. The postdoc will also contribute to the design of analyses
that incorporate metabolomic knowledge as prior information to strengthen
signal from genetic variation and enable its analysis in non-linear models.

Term is one year renewable to three years contingent on performance.

Anticipated Division of Time: Field work, sample prep, data collection
(25%); Metabolomic data analysis and interpretation (30%); Writing (30%);
Training of lab members and collaborators in metabolomics (15%)

Position Requirements: Ph.D. in plant biochemistry or metabolomics with
experience or interest in genetic applications, or Ph.D. in plant or animal
breeding with emphasis on biochemistry, metabolomics, or nutritional
science. Proven scientific writing ability and communication skills.

Preferred Specific Skills: Genome-wide association studies and genomic
prediction methods. High-dimensional data analysis. Programming skills in R
or other quantitative / statistical scripting. Basic bioinformatics skills
(sequence alignment, use of gene annotations). Basic notions of mating
designs in breeding.

How to Apply: Candidates should send a statement of interest, curriculum
vitae, contact information for three references and a statement of
diversity, equity and inclusion. Submit all application materials to
Academic Jobs Online (https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/15780).
Questions about the position can be addressed to Dr. Michael Gore at:
mag87cornell.edu. Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled.

Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are
a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and
Individuals with Disabilities.

--
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Plant Breeding and Genetics Section

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team