AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Wed Aug 14 10:34:08 2019
From: "Aaron Sams" <asamsembarkvet.com>
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Subject: Embark Veterinary - Hiring - Statistical Genomicist
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:34:08 -0500

Statistical Genomicist
FULL TIME ITHACA, NY

Love dogs? This is the place for you!

Please apply directly via this link:
https://embarkvet.com/...stical-genomicist-2/

About us

Discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on
the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with
Cornell University, the Embark DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up
their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what
features and traits their pet might have. Help us end preventable disease in
dogs and improve the lives of pets and their people through genomics.

Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray,
letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on
the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the
genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due
to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits
and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new
breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.

Interested in joining? We’re looking for highly motivated and driven
employees who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and
innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.

The Role

We are looking to expand our science team and accepting applications for
Scientists with extensive training and experience in Statistical Genetics
and Genomics. Talented candidates at all levels of experience are encouraged
to apply.

Our scientists are developing the next generation of breeding tools, novel
genetic tests, and evolutionary research in dogs with the goal of
accelerating canine genetic science and a long-term vision of ending
preventable diseases in pets.

Embark’s science team consists of leaders in the canine genomics research
community and expert veterinary geneticists, computational biologists and
population geneticists. The company is a research partner of the Cornell
University College of Veterinary Medicine, with a science headquarters in
Ithaca, NY and a company headquarters in Boston, MA. We are looking to hire
top-notch scientists in both locations to expand our canine genetic testing
product and accelerate our genetic discovery pipeline.

The Opportunity

*Design and execute genetic association studies.
*Work collaboratively across teams to develop and accelerate Embark’s canine
genetic discovery platform.
*Develop pipelines for processing and analyzing health and clinical data.
*Build models to predict complex health and trait phenotypes from genetic
and environment data.

Requirements

* Ph.D. or MS in Statistics, Genetics, or a related field.
* Strong skills in applied statistical genetics and genomics.
* Comfort with Linux/Unix environments and coding experience including python
  and SQL. Experience with AWS is a plus.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Add to a culture of teamwork and continuous learning/teaching.
* A passion for pet health and desire to build products to improve the lives
  of pets and pet owners.

What We Offer

* Dog-friendly office
* Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and
  paw-ternity leave
* Startup perks with big-company benefits
* Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
* A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave
* Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
* New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
* Continuing education including attending conferences

Embark’s proprietary database of phenotypic and genetic data from over a
hundred thousand dogs is already the largest in the world and has led to
exciting new genomic discoveries. We’re looking for colleagues to build the
engine driving a million-dog database to discover and prevent cancer, hip
dysplasia, cardiac disease and inbreeding depression in dogs.

Embark Veterinary Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity
at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion,
color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status,
veteran status or disability status.

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team