AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Fri Aug  2 15:43:05 2019
From: Joanna Szyda <jszydagmail.com>
Subject: Re: Guide on deep learning
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 15:43:05 -0500

Ignacy, why worry?

Nowadays, the Methods section in most journals is located at the end of the
paper, with a small font. If you have many individuals/many omics data/
fancy phenotypes/fancy graphics the methodology does not matter. Even
a single SNP GWAS with no environment precorrection will do. There are many
great R packages to download, so why bother with developing new methods if
we can have more papers published instead?

... I am a very, very, very poor R programmer, but I do not worry. The
"language" keeps impressing me, I never get error messages, its great! My
latest favorite is: v1<-c(1,2,3); v1[50]=11 (no error)

Cheers,
Joanna

BTW Does anyone read whole papers anymore?
_______________________
Joanna Szyda, professor
Institute of Animal Genetics, Biostatistics Lab
Wroclaw University of Life Sciences
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
mail: Kozuchowska 7, PL-51631 Wroclaw, Poland
Tel: +48-(0)71-3205846
email: http://theta.edu.pl/

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 20:46, Ignacy Misztal <ignacyuga.edu> wrote:

> Very funny but relevant message by Daniel. Is SHALLOW DEEPly out of
> fashion?
>
> Miguel Perez-Enciso visited UGA a couple of weeks ago and gave a short
> course on machine learning. We had many discussions, and although Miguel is
> capable of sophisticated theories, he adapts to new (good or bad) times.
>
> Some 25+ years ago the animal breeding was full of sophisticated theories
> with long derivations. Write a model, derive derivatives, estimate
> parameters... Took a guru to derive anything, but there were many gurus at
> that time. E.g., see formulas for threshold models (Gianola, Fouley,
> Hoeschele,..) or for AI REML (Thompson, Jensen,..). Brrrrrr
>
> Next came models based on sampling (sometimes termed Bayesian although BLUP
> is Bayesian too) strongly advocated by Daniel Gianola. Write a model but
> sample instead of deriving much. What needed pages of formulas could then
> be described in few formulas for sampling. Combinations of
> threshold/linear/censored models are now trivial to implement! Except that
> costs are high, results need interpretation, and the methodology is not
> really suitable for large evaluations. But good for papers and requiring
> less class time for students.
>
> The next step is machine learning. Do not even formulate a model, let
> machine do it from a list of cryptic choices. Would you trust machine
> learning in commercial decisions in animal breeding? Not sure but DEEP is
> good for papers and requires even less class time. Also, DEEP is good when
> you need to have results (of whatever quality) in seconds.
>
> Recently, the US public television (PBS) produced a program "Nova:
> Predictions by the numbers" that cited Fisher as originator of statistical
> significance, also commenting on the Bayes theorem. The program was ranked
> by viewers as 2 out of 5. Complexity seems to be out of fashion nowadays.
>
> Ignacy Misztal

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team