AnGenMap

Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Tue Jul 23 10:13:14 2019
From: Melanie Hess <melanie.k.hessgmail.com>
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Subject: ASGGN meeting in Ghent
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 10:13:15 -0500

Dear all,

The Global Research Alliance (GRA) Animal Selection, Genetics and Genomics
Network (ASGGN) offers a forum and environment in which scientists from all
over the world can share information and data relating to breeding for
mitigation of methane emissions from grazing livestock. The ASGGN is
endorsed by the Livestock Research Group of the Global Research Alliance on
agricultural greenhouse gases, as a forum to debate and reach agreement on
a variety of topics, including:

- Common protocols for measurement of CH4 emissions (and associated traits
  or at least calibrations of measurement differences between countries
- Co-measurement of appropriate correlated and productive traits
- The effects of the microbial profile of ruminants on production
  traits, such as feed efficiency and methane emissions
- Overall links among microbiomes, efficiency and adaptation in
  ruminants and their impact on production
- Formalised protocols for collection and storage of DNA from all
  animals measured and also protocols for collection and storage of rumen
  samples from all animals measured
- Criteria for data sharing and analysis (including meta-analysis among
  all contributing parties)
- Opportunities for collaboration

More information on the ASGGN can be found here: http://www.asggn.org/.

This year, we will be hosting an ASGGN meeting during the EAAP, in Ghent,
on the 28th of August, from 13.00 to 18.00. Our meeting will be comprised
of two sessions of 2 hours each:

- *13.30-15.30: Session 1 - The Age of Microbiomes *(chaired by John
  McEwan)
- *16.00-18.00: Session 2 - Feed efficiency and methane emissions in
  livestock *(chaired by Yvette de Haas)

We are now receiving Expression of Interest for talks at our meeting. We
kindly ask you to send a title and a short abstract within the scope of the
meeting/sessions to Larissa.Zetouniagresearch.co.nz.

Registration is also open, so if you are interested in joining our meeting,
please send your name, affiliation and email to
Larissa.Zetouniagresearch.co.nz.

We encourage all GRA member countries to attend and, when possible, share
their work. We would also like to point out that the Enteric Fermentation
Flagship Project (
https://globalresearchalliance.org/...-flagship/)
offers some financial support for microbial sample sequencing for
developing countries that are measuring methane and/or feed intake. Please,
do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to know more.

Updates can also be found on ASGGN’s Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/ASGGN_GRA.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible in Ghent!

Kind regards,

*Larissa Zetouni* Postdoc
Animal Genomics
Invermay Agricultural Centre
176 Puddle Alley
Mosgiel 9092
New Zealand

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program for Applied Bioinformatics.
Contact: Bioinformatics Team
Helpdesk