Minutes for the NRSP-8 Aquaculture Business Meeting
Coordinator: John Liu
Administrative Supervisor: Dr. Michael E. Vayda
National Program Leader: Dr. Muquarrab Qureshi
Industry Representatives: Drs. Nagaraj Chatakondi, Dr. John Benzie, Dr.
Time: Saturday January 12, 2008, 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Place: Pacific Salon 3 & 4, Town & Country Hotel, San Diego, CA.
I. Call to order
Chair, Dr. John Liu, called the business meeting to
order at 5 pm, following the Aquaculture Workshop.
II. Old Business
- Species Coordinators' Reports: All coordinator's reports except
Bioinformatics report will be deferred to 8:00 a.m.-9:00. Sunday morning.
- Bioinformatics coordinator: James Reecy, Iowa State University
- Catfish: Melanie Wilson, Species Coordinator
- Oysters: Patrick Gaffney, Species Coordinator
- Salmonids: Caird Rexroad, Species Coordinator
- Shrimps: Paul Gross, Species Coordinator
- Striped bass: Craig Sullivan, Species Coordinator
- Tilapia: Thomas Kocher, Species Coordinator
- Dr. Michael E. Vayda is our new Administrative Advisor. Dr. Vayda is
Associate Dean and Associate Director, Vermont Agricultural Experiment
Station. His contact information is: 108 Morrill Hall, 146 University
Place, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405; Phone
Number:802-656-0555; Fax Number:802-656-0290; Email Address:
- Administrator and Industry Rep Reports
- Dr. Muqurab Qureshi National program Leader reported on personnel
updates in CSREES, FY2008 appropriations and updates on the 2007 Farm
Bill. (attached hard copy)
Dr. Peter Burfening national program leader of Animal Genome competitive
funding. Breakdown of NRI Animal programs awards (attached hard copy).
Reported on requirements for grant proposals next year. RFA is on the NRI
Blue Print of genome research priorities for USDA is available on the web.
- Industry Rep.:
Dr. Nagaraj Chatakondi - catfish (present)
Dr. John Benzie - shrimp (present)
Dr. Scott LaPatra - salmonids (did not attend)
- Future Workshop:
- We thank Dr. Geoff Waldbieser for his outstanding efforts on organizing
this year's Workshop. Dr. Yniv Palti will be our next workshop organizer.
- All suggestions for the next Aquaculture Workshop including invited
speakers should be sent to Dr. Palti
III. New Business
- Travel award recipients this year:
Nicole Quinn, Simon Fraser Univ., BC, Canada; Jason Abernathy, Auburn
Univ.; Gregory Maes, Katholeicke Univ; Leuven, Belgium, Sham Nair;
Macquarie Univ, Australia; Kim Johnstone, Simon Fraser Univ., BC, Canada;
Shaolin Wang, Auburn Univ.; Tiago Hori, Memorial Univ., NF, Canada; Dina
Proestou, Univ. of Rhode Island; Delphine Lallias, Bangor Univ., Wales;
Anti Vasemägi, Univ. of Turku, Finland.
- Dr. Cairg Sullivan is the new species coordinator for striped bass.
- Dr. Caird Rexroad III was elected to be the Aquaculture species
co-coordinator to assist and share the responsibility with Dr. Liu.
- Dr. Krista Nichols was elected to be Secretary and Chair-Elect in 2009.
- Dr. Yniv Palti was nominated to replace Caird Rexroad as the salmonids
coordinator. This appointment is pending approval by the e-mail list.